Friday, May 2, 2014

Introduction to Gar Trek

What is Gar Trek? Well, originally, it was just a Garfield parody of Star Trek, featured on t-shirts and other clothing, as seen on the first picture below. Although the picture in this post is not exactly how it appears on the t-shirt, but it is the closest representation that I have at this time. Same goes for the second picture, minus the part with the advertisement for the Intergalactic Telecard Show Mars. Also, for those of you who don't know who Garfield is, visit this website: www.garfield.com. It is Garfield's website. Anyway, here are the pics:
 

 

Now, you are probably wondering what my blog has to do with a t-shirt design that is probably out of print by now. Well, I will tell you by asking this question: "What is Gar Trek now?" (or more accurately, "What has Gar Trek become?"). Well, it's simple, really. Since I have yet to find a relevant website that depicts what Gar Trek really is, I have decided to create my own website. Hopefully, it will happen before somebody else does, and, by that, I mean the launch date for my website. In other words, I have all of the ideas for my website in my head, but the site itself is still under construction. Anyway, what was once a simple t-shirt design for a Garfield parody of Star Trek, I have expanded into a more detailed parody universe (thanks to my wild imagination) in which the characters from the Garfield franchise don't just parody the characters from Star Trek, in some stories, they even interact with some of them, even to the point where at least two major characters, Seven of Nine and Commander "Trip" Tucker join the crew of one of the major starships that will be featured on my website.

Since there is limit to how many ideas I can come up with using just the characters from the "Garfield" and "U.S. Acres" comic strips (U.S. Acres also did a parody of Star Trek, called "Swine Trek", in an episode of the cartoon show "Garfield and Friends", see picture three below), my website will also be about more than just "Garfield" and "Star Trek", including the Garfield parody of Star Wars, called "Fur Wars", see picture four below, as well as characters and elements from other television series/movies/etc. that I'm a major fan of.

 

 
Well, this is the end of my post. My next post will introduce the cast of Gar Trek and the starship that they are the crew of.

2 comments:

  1. You are my hero. I had this on a coffee mug back in 98, I think this may have actually been one of the first things I bought as a new Trekkie. Unfortunately the handle broke after a few months, and despite its valuable service as a pen holder, got thrown out during a move. I have been trying to find another one for the past couple of years to no avail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand how I am your hero by creating this blog, but thank you for the compliment. As for this broken coffee mug that you lost, keep trying to look for a replacement on Ebay and Amazon. It may take a long time because the item is probably rare and extremely hard to find. I know from experience, I have yet to find a Gar Trek t-shirt and successfully purchase it.

      Delete